Here are my top 10 tips to becoming a better member of the church:
1. Stop treating those who come to our meetings as problems. Believe it or not even nonmembers, those who have made mistakes, or anyone else who comes through those doors are real people. People do not have to live the same lives or be similar to you for you to act like a decent human being or for you to actually live your faith. Love them as Christ would.
2. Stop bearing hypocritical testimonies. I understand that we are not perfect but unless you really have been trying stop saying stuff you'll forget the next day. Sometimes it is better to remain quiet than to look like a fool.
3. This whole "member missionary" phrase needs to change. Why don't we just say live your faith instead. A good reputation can go a long way. We don't need to constantly push our faith on others.
4. Don't judge those who didn't go on missions or came home early for whatever reason. You have no idea what they are going through or what the Lord has in store for them.
5. Cut out creating drama or clicks. Look I understand that you will get along better with certain people but you are not behaving like Christ when you exclude people. You are not acting like Christ when you judge others either. You are not acting like Christ when you gossip, mock, or belittle another human being.
6. Stop being so prideful about serving a mission. I understand that your mission meant a lot to you and I'm sure the Lord is grateful for your service.
7. Don't act self-righteous because you have a specific calling. We are all serving the Lord in our various ways. The Lord allows the sun to set on EVERYONE.
8. You are ultimately responsible for your kids. It is your job to make sure that they are behaving and it is your responsibility to make sure others are able to have a nice sacrament meeting.
9. Try not to fall asleep during someone's talk. I understand that it's Sunday but those speakers have spent a lot of time and effort into their talk. Make them feel appreciated for their efforts by trying to not fall asleep and keeping your mouth shut during the entire sacrament meeting.
10. Sunday is about serving others, coming closer to Christ, inspiring others, learning more about how to be better examples of Christ, and about renewing covenants. It's meant to be a sacred day, different from the rest. Start following your faith and watch miracles happen in your life and the lives of others.